Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Perspective

Midterms arrived this week and last on campus, so I haven't blogged as consistently. Going forward, I doubt I will be able to write as much, but for any faithful readers, I promise to post when I am able.

I would like to discuss an experience from a couple weeks ago. For the first time in my life, I served as an acolyte at Mass (the grown-up version of altar serving). Somehow in all my Catholic life, I never altar served. I am trained as a lector and Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist (EME). I sang in the choir. I helped organize liturgies. I presided at Service of the Word with Communion. But I was never an acolyte until coming to Mount Angel.

To begin, the thought of screwing up frightened me. What if I missed my cue? Everyone on the hilltop seems to be watching in daily Mass, so if I lacked confidence or forgot to do something, it would be noticed. To compound the stress, the acolyte with whom I served was also brand new. I couldn't lean on anyone's experience. We had a 15-minute training on Friday, and Monday morning we were expected to be ready.

For the most part, the Mass went smoothly. As I think should be the norm, we faded into the background as acolytes. Process in. Keep hands folded in front. Bow at the altar. Keep those hands folded. Hold the Sacramentary when Father says, "Let us pray." Put the Sacramentary back. Fold those hands (this is a challenge for me!). Place the purificators and chalices on the altar before the gifts are presented. Fold hands. Fold and remove the corporal after communion. Hands -- you guessed it -- are folded. Process out...with hands folded.

Aside from keeping my hands folded, the hardest part was taking in a new perspective. When you go to Mass, do you sit in the same spot? I bet most of us do. We human beings create habits and stick to them. I am no exception. As an acolyte, I had to sit in a new place and experience a forced change of perspective. It was good.

I was closer to altar, more aware of the prayers, alert because I had to follow the cues, and generally engaged in a new way with the liturgy. Liturgy, translated loosely, means the work of the people. Serving as an acolyte helped me see that work with fresh eyes.

Is it time for a change in your perspective? It was time to change for me. Perhaps as a small way of entering into this Year of Faith, we can sit in a new section, meet new people, reflect on the readings in preparation, or pick up a new liturgical ministry. Perhaps we can find a new perspective and enter deeper into the sacred mysteries. Will you enter in with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment