Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Visit


"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship."
THOMAS AQUINAS

I drove and drove and drove and drove and drove on Friday afternoon. Traffic came to a stop in Olympia, in Tacoma, and again in Seattle. I played music, found some podcasts, prayed the rosary, anything to pass the time. A four-and-a-half-hour trek became a six-hour trek. I hit rush hour in the Puget Sound at the wrong time. When my car gratefully came to a stop in the parking lot of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, I took a deep breath, grabbed my rain jacket, and eagerly walked inside.

Home again.

I love this parish. I love the people. I love my experience as a youth minister there, with triumphs, struggles and time to grow and pray. I love coming back. I love standing in the vestibule hugging so many people that are special, beautiful, and unique. I love this parish, and despite the drive and the three-month wait to be back, I loved my return trip last weekend.

My friends spoiled me and filled my cup. On Friday, Mass started just as I pulled up. A few hellos, and I took a seat at the back, trying unsuccessfully to blend in and not steal attention from the Sacred Mysteries. Unexpectedly, the Kyrie and Gloria Mass parts brought me to tears. God is merciful, and God gave me this community for the last four years to draw me closer to Him. The tears were an expression of how humbled, fortunate, and grateful I am to have such a loving God.

On Saturday, my friend Craig Lundberg was ordained with 21 other men as permanent deacons for the Archdiocese of Seattle. He and his wife Marti serve the church in myriad ways, so Craig's ordination fittingly culminates a four-year journey of preparation for the Sacrament of Holy Orders and begins a new chapter of ministry for them. The ordination drew a standing-room-only crowd to St. James Cathedral. The children's choir lifted our spirits to Heaven; the men being ordained and their wives joyously received Archbishop Sartain's blessing and laying on of hands; the Eucharist enlivened us; the Lord graciously welcomed us to the wedding feast.

Susie hosted me for the weekend in her seemingly quiet house, with her husband Francis gone to Melbourne, Australia on work and just her youngest son Kelly left at home. We prepared Saturday afternoon for the guests that would come that evening. I baked cookies and brownies for a potluck while Susie and Kelly went to the store for plates, plasticware, and pop. Though I don't get to do it much at seminary, cooking still strikes me as therapeutic, especially when I have solitude as I did Saturday afternoon. Quiet descended, ingredients hit the bowl, and I contemplated how blessed I am.

The afternoon turned to evening quickly. I made a brief stop at Craig and Marti's reception, departed for 5 p.m. Mass since I couldn't make it in the morning, and raced back to Susie's around 6:30 p.m. after all the guests had arrived. They saw me coming and made a human tunnel for my entrance like parents used to do at the end of soccer games for the players. My heart felt like it would burst.

Susie's counters and table were covered with potluck foods -- fried chicken, tomato and cucumber salad, Funfetti cookies, brownies, Jell-O, and goodies everywhere. I went from conversation to conversation, catching up and joking around, playing games and talking sports, snapping photos and retelling my experiences thus far. The night made me wish anew I could be in two places at once -- studying at seminary, living and ministering in this faith community.

Susie guessed about 50 people came Saturday night. Who am I that such an outpouring of love would be for me? I am immeasurably blessed. I did my best to listen to each person intently, to reconnect in the limited time we shared, though I wish it could have been longer.

On Sunday I met with Erin, the youth minister now working with the high schoolers, and we talked about the challenges and triumphs of the work. I expect she and the community will grow to love each other more as I did in my first year. She is diligent and full of ideas, good traits that will help bring about new ways of ministering to teens.

My Sunday also included a soccer game with my men's league team (they graciously let me step in for a game) and lunch with two friends from SPU, Jess and Melissa, with whom it's natural to pick up the conversation we left three months ago and feel like it never ended.

The time for me to depart arrived, but instead of dread at leaving so great an experience, my life overflowed with all the weekend's events. Coming back to Mount Angel made me appreciate the many people who offer an abundance of friendship and love. Community, while never perfect, should bring us the sort of comfort I found this weekend, especially as our lives weave tapestries of sorrow and joy. As God abides, so must we abide. Thankfully, I found people who abide, and I am so much richer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment