Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spring

One smell reminds me all is well in the world. With it, springtime is revealed, the clouds part, the sun shines, the colors explode, and the majesty of the seasons is understood anew.

Freshly cut grass.

April is nearly over, May is almost here, and the academic year inches to completion. This morning the landscapers have the mowers revving around our quiet hilltop, another indication that growth is occurring, not just in the greenery but in the individuals. Our minds and hearts are constantly stretched to fit one more philosophy, that final paper, a few extra prayers. Shortly we will have a break.

Recently I received word of my assignment for the coming months. Starting in June I will be in Sandpoint, Idaho for an eight-week stint at St. Joseph's Church with Fr. Dennis Day. This is my first assignment to a parish as a seminarian, so I don't know quite what to expect. I anticipate many useful experiences interacting with parishioners, the pastor, the town, the liturgy, and the new role I am learning as someone studying to be a priest. Many people highlighted to me the beauty of Sandpoint. It sits beside the largest lake in Idaho, Lake Pend Oreille (pronounced POND OR-ay), and is surrounded by three mountain ranges. I look forward to seeing how a small-town parish functions, though from the looks of its profile, St. Joseph's is no sleepy community. Fr. Day told me over the phone that Sandpoint is the ideal place to celebrate Independence Day with parades and lakeside fireworks. Most importantly, Sandpoint will be a place where my discernment can continue as I meet God's people of the Church in Idaho.


Before June much remains to be accomplished. Synthesis papers, final exams, and year-end celebrations beckon. Today at lunch I am choosing a room for next year. The last two weeks of pastoral ministry must be completed. And I need to pack, clean, and bid farewell to my brother seminarians.

This morning, though, with the grass freshly cut and the days a little longer and brighter, I am easing forward into new adventures.

Springtime:
Your message of hope 
to a world tiring of winter’s starkness
longing for that first crocus
to push through snow’s icy blanket
and spread its leaves 
like arms outstretched 
to its creator.
Springtime:
Our yearly reminder, if we needed one
that to a world that was dark and cold
a world devoid of love’s sweet warmth
you sent your Son 
to break through sin’s icy blanket
and, arms outstretched
on a cross
he brought us
hope.

Author Unknown





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey! I found your blog through the St. Mark's newsletter. :-)

    ReplyDelete