Saturday, February 28, 2015

Group


The alarm clock used to wake me wickedly early on Tuesday mornings when I lived in Seattle. That day each week I met with a small group of men at 6 a.m. We attended a Cursillo Retreat together, and the weekly meetings (called reunions) were part of the Cursillo movement. We ate breakfast provided by the host at their home. We talked about our week. We shared one way we experienced the Lord moving in our lives the last seven days. We prayed. We bonded. We departed. The routine was simple and meaningful.

Our commitment and fraternity forced us to grow. I never looked forward to the alarm on Tuesdays, but I knew it was for my spiritual good. Small groups effect change in us, in our habits and lives. We need the encouragement, the support, the challenge, the commiseration, the celebration. Do you have a group? I'm looking for one since I moved to Boise. Let's find one together as part of our journey this season--and not just passively thinking about a group but actively seeking out people that make us better versions of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment