Saturday, September 8, 2012

Multnomah

It's a free weekend. Plus all the undergraduates (about half the student population) are off the hill on retreat at the beach. The hallways lack foot traffic, and campus seems emptier than usual. What's a seminarian to do?

Hop in the car, drive into the big city (Portland), pick up some old friends, hike, eat, and catch up. At least that's what I did. I noticed on Facebook a few days ago that a couple of friends (and former EAS teens) at University of Portland were having a conversation about hiking today, so I offered to join them and drive. A mini-adventure was born.

Courtney, Megan, and I went to one of my favorite highway attractions (of the classy variety): Multnomah Falls. Once or twice a year growing up, my family vacationed to the Oregon Coast, and on the way to or from the ocean, we made a stop at Multnomah. I've never hiked to the top, just to the bridge that sits over the steam flowing from the side of the cliff where the water careens down and ever so slightly mists the faces of onlookers.

Multnomah takes 45 minutes or so to drive from University of Portland, so between the hike and the drive, we had time to share about our new experiences -- Megan in her first quarter at UP, Courtney living off campus for the first time, and the seminary life for me. These things sound inconsequential, but sharing a slice of non-seminary life can be refreshing when you're immersed in philosophy, prayer, and fraternity.

We didn't make it to the top, but seven out of 11 switchbacks isn't shabby. Besides, the company was the reason for the hike anyway. Afterward we decided on lunch, and I showed the girls my favorite (and only) restaurant in Portland: Elephant's Deli. If you're ever around the Rose City, go there. I think of it as European-style, with deli counters all over and innumerable choices. They have a grill (the girls both got a portobello reuben sandwich), a huge selection of salads, casseroles, wood-fired pizzas (my meal was an arugula, roasted tomato, artichoke heart pizza), homestyle and exotic dishes, specialty drinks, and on and on. Try it. I've yet to hear anyone disappointed by the Elephant's Deli.

Since I had a car, I offered to take the girls to Fred Meyer. I needed gas there anyway, and they wanted to pick up a few groceries. In 10 minutes at the store, we saw a man in short cutoff jean shorts with a shaved head except for a waist-length dreadlock; a young man in all pink with fake feathers and high heels; and a band of hipster Portlanders with more makeup than the store had in stock. We were not on the hilltop anymore. I had to smile. If I continue this direction and finish seminary, this is the world into which I will re-enter. The challenge beckons to befriend and authentically play a role in the life of individuals vastly different than I am, but that's the wonder of the Gospel -- it's for every soul.

Thanks to Courtney and Megan for a great day of relative normalcy. I needed it.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to enjoy the day. I find that taking time away helps me keep perspective.
    We will visit Multnomah one of these days.

    ReplyDelete