Thursday, April 2, 2015

Feet

I volunteered today at the Corpus Christi House in Boise at a foot washing clinic. I was not the washer (that was left to podiatrists and nurses). My friend Frankie and I prepared tubs for foot soaking and removed them after use. Over 50 people--almost all of whom were homeless or living in poverty--received treatment ranging from cleaning, clipping, filing, and massaging. Each person seemed genuinely grateful.

I was grateful, too, for the experience and the reminder that Jesus does whatever it takes to meet us, welcome us, involve us, challenge us, love us. He enters into the dirty depths of our fallenness individually and collectively. He showers us with streams of mercy, water, and blood. He feeds us His Body and Blood in the Holy Eucharist. He gives us strength for every journey.

And tonight? Tonight he washes our feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment