Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Laughter

A Basque priest arrived at St. John's Cathedral this year. He heard on the radio in his native area that there were no remaining Basque priests serving the Catholic people of the Northwest. What did he do in response? He moved to Boise. He is a true missionary.

Today, Fr. Antonio heard my confession, and he reminded me of an important lesson. My sin was related to pride and taking too personally and seriously the reputation I have with others. His counsel? Laugh at yourself. Don't take yourself or life too seriously. Live in a coherent, faithful way, and do not worry what others think.

I like to think I am fairly secure in my identity, that I can take the criticism, that I don't care much for perceptions. Mostly, I am confident, but I am no finished product. Insecurities persist. Criticism can sting. Growth requires humility.

Laughter helps the process. When mistakes and insecurities become points of shoulder shrugging instead of deep sighing, God's mercy can be welcomed into the space created by the release of tension. I need to laugh more. I need to be more joyful. I needed the reminder from a priest who traveled from Europe to share a snippet of hope in the confessional. Thank you, Fr. Antonio.

My brothers Luke and Michael ran with me in the "toughest race in the Northwest" on Saturday. Robin Creek is 13.1 miles, 2000 feet in elevation climb, and then a straight drop after the peak. Our knees survived, and each of us gratefully completed the brutal course.

No comments:

Post a Comment