Saturday, March 14, 2015

Books

Matthew Kelly says that if Catholics read one great book about the faith each year (just one!), lives would begin to be transformed. I have said here often I am not a prolific reader, but I try to read a little bit every day. Everyone can read for five or ten minutes before bed.

Great books can change our perspective, refresh us, and give inspiration. Fr. Paschal Cheline, OSB, a monk from Mount Angel, passed away this week after a lifetime of service to the church and to forming men for the priesthood. One of his favorite pieces of advice was to read novels. Read stories that teach us about people and the world. Read them with a lens of being a Jesus follower. Read them for pleasure. Read them to learn. Do not cease reading.

I am reading, if not a lot, a little at a time. As I have remarked often lately, the book Rebuilt is my current favorite. I devoured the first time through, stopping short near the end because I was enjoying it so much I didn't want to finish. Then, for the first time in my life, I turned around and started from the beginning. I learned just as much and enjoyed it just as much on the return trip. What else is on my reading list?

Rebuilt: Awakening the Faithful, Reaching the Lost, and Making Church Matter by Fr. Michael White and Tom Corcoran

Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus by Sherry Weddell


To Save a Thousand Souls: A Guide to Discerning a Vocation to the Diocesan Priesthood by Fr. Brett Brannen

The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds by Joe Posnanski

The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy by Bill Simmons


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Boundaries: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend

What about you? What books have you read? What books should I read?

No comments:

Post a Comment